Monday, January 19, 2009

To Be or Not To Be. Or Maybe, To Be Something Different

When I was younger I was always the good little church girl. Now I am older and don't know what I believe in. I don't know how I could have this loss of faith. It used to be so strong. Now I am with a Muslim man that I love a lot, and he keeps mentioning me converting... it hurts me that he would even ask me to make that big of a step for him. And I don't know what to do. I am so confused about this whole God thing...
Author: Female 19


This secret has stuck out in my mind since the first time I read it. As a person that is strong in my own religion and a big advocate of happiness by choices, I believe all people should have the choice to decide their religion, live it, and live it fully. This comment brings up many feelings for me.

First, her lost faith in what she felt used to be so strong. It seems sad. She seems to be mourning who she used to be and the faith she used to have.

Second, she seems upset that her boyfriend is asking her to change her religion. This gives me mixed feelings. I am sad that her boyfriend wants her to change. However I feel hope for her because she feels loss at thinking of changing. To me that says she still feels she could get back into the faith she felt so strongly.

I was also interested in the comments that were left for this secret. So many people advised her one way or the other. Choose this way or choose that way. Many people were quick to judge. Not only judging her, but judging the boyfriend she mentions, and judging both of the religions she is considering. And even judging each other.

Yet, there are others. There are those that told her to investigate, to learn, to take time to think about it, and then to choose which felt better for her. There were people that offered websites and books to help her to learn. There are so many that encourage her to stay who she is and not change for another person, but to change only if she felt it would make her a better person and bring her closer to the God she chose to believe in. Those are the people that give hope. Those are the people that bring kindness. Those are the people that make our world a better place.

“I have one life and one chance to make it count for something . . . I'm free to choose what that something is, and the something I've chosen is my faith. Now, my faith goes beyond theology and religion and requires considerable work and effort. My faith demands -- this is not optional -- my faith demands that I do whatever I can, wherever I am, whenever I can, for as long as I can with whatever I have to try to make a difference.”


No comments:

Post a Comment